Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I'm Wrong!

During my teaching career I have learned many lessons - often from students.  I have learned far more from being wrong, from taking a risk, from making mistakes, than I have from being right.

My favourite question to use with students is "Why?  Who says that that's right?  Who's assumptions and judgments are we using to say that something is right?"

Are people wrong just because they disagree with us?  Why do we fear being wrong?  We want our students to be risk-takers and questioners but we are reluctant to take risks and question ourselves.  Why do we see it as 'failure' when we get something wrong?

Kathryn Schulz presents a TED Talk on the freedom of being wrong.  What are we 'wrong' about in our teaching and learning but afraid to admit because we don't want to be judged as being 'wrong'?

No comments:

Post a Comment